Kerala Style Red Fish Curry is one of the dishes for which we drool over. Fish pieces cooked in coconut gravy, flavoured with some spices and cocum. It is best enjoyed with red boiled rice. This recipe is my mom’s recipe and our favourite. This recipe is similar to how thrissur people prepare except few differences like instead of coconut milk, we use whole grated coconut without any waste. If you would like to use coconut milk, add it at the very end of the preparation.
How to make Kerala Style Red Fish Curry with coconut| Meen Vevichathu with step by step photos:
- Wash fish pieces 3-4 times. Mix 1 tsp salt to it and marinate till it is used or atleast for 30 minutes.
- Wash gambooge and soak it in 1/4 cup of hot water. Keep it aside. Chop ginger, garlic and onions and keep it ready.
- Heat clay pot. pour coconut oil, add fenugreek seeds, then chopped ginger and garlic.
- Saute till light golden brown. Add sliced shallots and saute till translucent. Add chopped coriander leaves. Fry for another 2 minutes.
5. Add coconut pieces and grated coconut. And immediately switch off the flame. Mix everything well and let it cool down. Grind it to a fine paste with little water.
6. Add coconut oil to the same clay pot. Once hot add turmeric and red chilly powder. This will give bright red color to the gravy. Mix well for few seconds. Then add soaked gambooge.
7. Transfer the gound paste to the clay pot. Add water as per the consistency you want. Check for salt. Add if needed. Mix well and let it boil. Then add fish pieces and lots of curry leaves. Cover and cook it for 10 minutes. Gently mix it once in between.
8. Once done, drizzles 1-2 tsp of coconut oil and more curry leaves. Cover and let it remain undisturbed untill you serve.
Your feedback and comment means a lot. Try it and if you like please share it with your family and friends.
Did you make a recipe?? Tag it as @flavouredgoodness or #flavouredgoodness on Instagram
or send me a snap. Would love to see it and feature it on my Facebook page
Stay connected on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for regular updates.