Homemade Butter From Scratch | How to make Homemade Butter
Today I will be sharing how to make homemade butter from scratch with step-by-step photos. Along with this learn how to make heavy cream out of this.
Making homemade butter is so much better than the store bought and it’s very easy to make with the ordinary kitchen tools you have. In this post, I will explain how to make butter from whole milk, you can also make from store bought cream.
Few points you need to keep in mind while preparing for butter:
- Make sure your fridge is in good condition.
- Store the collected cream inside the FREEZER, nowhere else.
- If you want to collect the cream soon after boiling the milk, make sure the cream cools down, before you close the lid of the container and store it back to the freezer.
- To get the maximum amount of cream, after boiling the milk, keep it in the refrigerator once cooled, for an hour or more. Take it out of the fridge, you will see cream or ‘malai’ as called in Hindi, floating on top of the milk. Separate and collect it.
- Use ICE COLD water for making butter.
- If you want to make butter out of store bought cream, keep the packet in the fridge for few hours, before proceeding further. No need to add water.
How to make homemade butter from scratch with step-by-step photos:
3. Blend it for few seconds and you will see it formed into a smooth cream. At this point, if you want to make heavy cream instead of butter, you can add 1/4 cup of milk to 1 cup of cream and blend for few seconds, not more than that. Store it in an airtight container. Use it later as an when your recipe calls for full cream.
Ok, back to making butter. Now we have a smooth cream. Add 1/4-1/2 cup of ICE COLD water into the mixie. And blend it for few minutes till you see the cream is churning and forming into butter. You might start off with low speed and gradually increasing it.
Note: Ice cold water will help to solidify the butter.
Even after you continue to blend in a hope to get more butter out of it. You might end up making cream again as the mixie jar will start getting hot. So, first separate the butter, which you have got and if you think you can get more butter out of it. You can either add ice cold water or keep the mixie in the fridge for some time. Then blend again.
4. Once done, the butter will float on top. Separate it from the buttermilk. Or you can pour off the buttermilk first into a container. Save it for baking or make it a Masala Chaas and drink it.
I sometimes use for making this Best Ever Healthy Chocolate cake.
5. Using a spatula, press the butter tightly and separate the buttermilk how much you can. If you don’t do this, you will spoil your butter.
6. Now, pour ice cold water. And drain off the water. Repeat this step, until you see the water clear. Let it sit in clear water for 5 minutes. Drain it completely.
7. Store it right below the freezer compartment. Every time, you need it, use a clean, dry spoon. Enjoy it with bread or parathas.
You can even make ghee out of this, which smells and tastes delicious.
Tip for cleaning the greasy jar or other kitchen tool used:
Wipe off the butter residue with your bare hands and apply on face as a best moisturiser. Now, let me be clear this is not a beauty blog nor I’m a beauty expert. But, atleast I know its natural and won’t hurt your skin + you are saving. 🙂
To wash the utensils, immerse it in tap water for half an hour to an hour or for an immediate solution, wash it with warm or hot soapy water. TADAA!! your mixie is nice and clean..
Let me know how you make butter at home. Share your tips by commenting below.
If you like this post, please share with your friends and family.
Did you make a recipe?? Tag it as @flavouredgoodness on Instagram
or send me a snap. Would love to see it and feature it on my Facebook page
Stay connected Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for regular updates.