Cherupayar Thoran | Green Moong Dal Stir Fry Using Coconut
Today I’m sharing another thoran recipe from Kerala. Cherupayar Thoran is mostly enjoyed along with steaming hot Kanji or rice porridge, pickle and Kerala papadam, one of the comfort food of Malayalees. The main ingredient as the whole green moong dal, stir fried along with ground coconut mixture is a dry recipe, used as a side dish for rice.
How To Make Cherupayar Thoran with step-by-step photos :
1. Wash and soak moong dal for at least 6 – 8 hrs or overnight.
2. Drain the water and put dal in the cooker with enough water just to cover it. Close the lid. After the first whistle, lower the flame. Cook it for 5 minutes.
3. After the pressure releases, open the cooker, you will find there is no water remaining. Keep it aside.
4. Grind together, shallots, garlic, coconut, chilly, turmeric, cumin and a little salt. Keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard and curry leaves. Add the ground coconut mixture. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the cooked dal. Combine everything well. Cover with lid and cook for another 4-5. Stir often.
7. Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice and papadam.
Did you make a recipe?? Tag it as @flavouredgoodness on Instagram
or send me a snap. Would love to see it and feature it on my Facebook page
Stay connected Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for regular updates.