Beetroot Poriyal Recipe | Beetroot Stir Fry
Often people get confused between the terms Poriyal and Thoran. Even I used to think both as the same dish. But, indeed there’s a difference between the two. Poriyal is a Tamil word for sautéed vegetable dish. It involves seasoning with mustard and urad dal. Coconut is used as a dressing if in case it is used.
Beetroot Poriyal is very simple and quick apart from the time taken for grating beetroot. If you have a patience, you can even chop it fine instead of grating. I have used a thick grater to get a better texture.
So, here goes the recipe.
How to make Beetroot Poriyal:
1. Scrape out the skin of the beetroot and grate it thick.
2. Heat coconut oil in a shallow pan. Splutter mustard seeds, then add urad dal and curry leaves.
3. Add grated beetroot, chilly and onion together and mix well.
4. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a tablespoon of water, if needed.
5. Sprinkle cumin powder and salt. If you want little more spice, add pepper powder at last.
5. Serve hot with steamed rice and moru curry.
Did you make a recipe?? Tag it as @flavouredgoodness on Instagram
or send me a snap. Would love to see it!